January 13, 2020
Learning and Working Together
Apprendre et Travailler Ensemble
Sagayt Suwilaawkska Ada Hakahalels
Happy New Year!
- Our Library Learning Commons is very close to being ready and we hope to have a soft opening the week of January 3 – 7, 2020.
- The Truth and Reconciliation (TRC) Pole was moved to a PRMS shop and classes are scheduled to learn from Russell Mather, the carver, on Fridays.
- We will host a Grand Opening once the TRC Pole is completed, TBD.
- You have not doubt heard about our woes during the very cold weather, our Maintenance Department has done an amazing job of helping us return our impacted classrooms to normal.
- As a precaution, we have set up bottled water stations on each floor for our staff and students as requested by the Northern Health due to the new standard for copper content in drinking water issued by Health Canada.
Teams and Clubs:
- Currently, our Winter Sports, all four Basketball teams, the Wrestling Team and Boys Soccer are underway. We are reminding coaches to put Budget requests in to the PAC as soon as possible.
- As mentioned in December we have some new clubs this year such as the Arcade Club, the Debate Club and the After School Arts Club.
- This year we will have a new team participating in Spring Sports – Ultimate Frisbee!
- The Music and Drama programs are both getting ready to perform in upcoming Festivals.
- We are hosting Student/Parent/Teacher Interviews on Thursday January 23, 2020.
- The new Graduation 10 Literacy Assessment is underway this week.
- The Numeracy Assessments will run at the end of April 2020.
Watch for updates on our CHSS App, CHSS website, Weekly Bulletin and Sign Tower.
August 30, 2019
There has been a lot of activity at the school these last 2 weeks to get ready for the arrival of students on September 3, 2019. We are excited to be implementing some new courses for the new Grade 11 and 12 curriculum. There are changes to the Provincial Assessments this year as we phase out the Provincial Exams and bring in both Numeracy and Literacy Assessments for our Grade 10s. Please visit the BC’s New Curriculum website at https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/ as it provides information about courses, curriculum and assessment.
Our timetable now includes FLEX sessions in the afternoons on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The teachers will continue to have Collaboration Time every second Thursday so, there will be early dismissal on those days. Please check our Trimester Schedule as it includes Holidays, Professional Development Days (Non-Instructional), FLEX, Student/Parent/Teacher Interviews and Collaboration Days. This year students will be spending their Tuesday FLEX in one of their five classes to ensure they are keeping up with their course work and they will choose a FLEX session on Thursday afternoons that they are interested in. Students will be completing their Core Competency Self Assessment once each trimester to earn credits.
Our Library Learning Commons (LLC) is under construction and we look forward to the big reveal sometime in the late fall. Watch for more details and a formal announcement about the large red cedar log in our entryway!
Northern Health is working with us to provide a public health nurse two Mondays every month to meet with and support our students. We are pleased to continue our Breakfast and Lunch Programs at the school. Please inquire at the front office if you are interested in donating or want to find out more.
I cannot even begin to describe all of the amazing lessons, events, games, concerts, speakers, and labs that are going to occur this year.
It is with great anticipation we look forward to learning and working together at Charles Hays Secondary School!