Sept. 28, 2022
Learning and Working Together
Sagayt Suwilaawkska Ada Hakahalels
Apprendre et Travailler Ensemble
Here is what is happening at Charles Hays Secondary School this month.
- The bathrooms are done.
- The sign is replaced.
- New unit ventilation is installed throughout the school.
- Many of our summer projects were completed by the hardworking maintenance team!
- There is a Truth and Reconciliation staff team. They have been leading learning during TRC week. The team will meet regularly throughout the year to collaborate on projects.
- Teachers can take students on field trips more often as we have a bus available from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm.
- Family Affordability Fund- more details at meeting for parent consultation
- Student Parent Teacher Conferences are in person again. Parents to sign up via Sign-up Genius
- Rotary Exchange – Students interested in an exchange can attend a meeting on Oct. 3rd.
- The CHSS greenhouse team is in partnership with Ecotrust. They have been collaborating on produce growing and facilitating CHSS’s participation in the North Coast Seed Library.
Debate Team (Teacher Sponsor Mr. Kertes)
Interact Club (Teacher Sponsor Mr. O’Toole, Community Volunteer Bob and Bev Killbery)
E-Sports (Teacher Sponsor Mr. Turner)
Book Club (Teacher Sponsor Mr. Turner)
GSA – See Ms. Dueck
Chess Club – See Mr. Paling
Math Club – Ms. Sharma
Plant parenthood – Mr. Russell and student leader Natalie DeMille
Student Focus Group – Ms. Burger and Ms. Rourke
Fall Sports- September to November
Jr. Girls Volleyball (Teacher Sponsor Mr. Hughes, Coaches Rampi and Rupi Gill)
Sr. Girls Volleyball (Coach Paula Picard)
Cross Country – Mrs. Bishop
Winter Sports- December to Mid-March
Jr. Girls Basketball
Jr. Boys Basketball
Sr. Boys Basketball
Spring Sports – April to June
Track and Field
The Month of October
- Truth and Reconciliation SD 52 Walk – Sept. 29th
- National Day of Truth and Reconciliation – Sept. 30th – Community Walk at PRMS field noon-4pm
- Women’s History Month – October
- National Day of Action for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women- Oct. 4th
- Teacher Appreciation Day- Oct. 5th
- SPT- Oct. 6th & Student Focus Group
- School Photo Retakes- Oct. 19th
- Grad Photos- Oct. 24th– 26th
- Chocolates will arrive soon. Graduates are asked to sell two boxes to raise money for Commencement (cap and gown ceremony in June)
- Grad hoodie order- due Oct. 14, 2022
- Grade 12 timeline- emailed to all families and paper copies were available at the grade 12 assembly.
- Grad photos in October
- 31st – Nov. 4th all grade 12 literacy
Watch for updates on our CHSS website, CHSS Facebook, Weekly News, and the Sign Tower.